There’s a popular phrase that says you shouldn’t suppose everything you read online.
I always thought it applied to conspiracy theories & random facts I come across on the internet, however live reviews & customer feedback never crossed my mind.
Sometimes I check reviews, however only when I’m buying new products or gadgets from online stores. I acquired a peculiar perspective after a bad experience with a specialist I found online! Our section was experiencing unexpected heavy rains last month, so we had to maintain a comfortable temperature throughout. I noticed the heating unit had a problem because I would adjust the wireless temperature control from my phone, however the temperature reMained the same. It wasn’t freezing, so I figured the boiler wasn’t the problem. The next furnace repair was a few months away, so I decided to look for a heating specialist online to handle the minor repairs, after a quick online search, I found a local Heating & A/C serviceman who was available the following morning. He checked my electric Heating & A/C & concluded the electric heat pump was damaged. He had some Heating & A/C products for sale & gave to substitute them with one of those devices; Everything was okay for two mornings, however on the second morning, I noticed an odd burning smell coming from the unit. I switched it off & right away called my typical Heating & A/C specialist & explained what happened. He conducted a thorough inspection of the entire electric heating system. Unfortunately, the specialist had left naked power cables that came into contact & ignited a spark. He recommended immediate heat pump replacement to solve the issue & suggested me to get a HEPA filter for better performance. I mentioned my previous experience & he cautioned me to always confirm certification & qualification while sharing some practical energy saving tips.